Visiting the UK and types of visas required

If you are coming to the United Kingdom as a general visitor, you are allowed to stay for up to six months.

This section explains the different types of visitor visas and what you are allowed to do as a general visitor to the United Kingdom.

If you intend staying for longer than six months you need to look at the residency or working in the UK sections of this website.

The following categories are for nationals of countries outside the European Economic Area (EEA) and Switzerland. If you are an EEA or Swiss national, or a family member of an EEA or Swiss national, there are different requirements.

You can apply to visit the United Kingdom under the following visitors categories:

  • General Visitor
  • Family Visitor
  • Business and Special Visitor
  • Medical Treatment

Why Choose Us!

Harris and Green Solicitors have recently extended their services to include family law. Although we are family law solicitors in Leeds, we don’t just cover the Leeds area. Our family law clients are national and span the whole of the UK.

Expert Solicitor

We provide tailor-made visa applications to the Home Office in the UK for further leave, indefinite leave, Discretionary leave and applications & representations to British Embassies around the world.

Unrivalled Service

For further information on how we can assist you and your family come to the UK, please do not hesitate to contact our qualified UK immigration Solicitors on +44(0)113 270 7002 or e-mail us at

Fast Support

Our clients include SMEs, large corporations, high net-worth individuals, entrepreneurs, skilled workers, students, temporary workers, visitors, partners, EU nationals and many more from around the world.


Bespoke applications for Tier 1 Entrepreneurs and Investors under Tier 1 of the Points Based System. Business immigration, including those under Tier 2 General, Tier 2 ICT and for foreign companies wishing to set up a UK branch.

    Get A Free Consultation