Applications for child visas

A parent whose child resides in the UK can apply for permission to enter or remain in the UK in order for them to have contact with their child.

The following requirements must be met:

  • The applicant must be the parent of a child who is resident here; and
  • The parent or carer with whom the child resides must be permanently resident in the UK;
  • The applicant must have evidence that they have rights of access to the child.

This can either be in the form of a Residence or Contact Order granted by a UK Court or a certificate issued by a district judge confirming that they intend to maintain contact with the child; and

  • The applicant must show that they intend to take an active role in the child’s upbringing; and
  • The child must be under the age of 18; and
  • There must be adequate accommodation for the applicant and any dependants in the UK without recourse to public funds in accommodation which you own or occupy exclusively; and
  • The applicant must show that they can also maintain themselves and any dependents without recourse to public funds.

Why Choose Us!

Harris and Green Solicitors have recently extended their services to include family law. Although we are family law solicitors in Leeds, we don’t just cover the Leeds area. Our family law clients are national and span the whole of the UK.

Expert Solicitor

We provide tailor-made visa applications to the Home Office in the UK for further leave, indefinite leave, Discretionary leave and applications & representations to British Embassies around the world.

Unrivalled Service

For further information on how we can assist you and your family come to the UK, please do not hesitate to contact our qualified UK immigration Solicitors on +44(0)113 270 7002 or e-mail us at

Fast Support

Our clients include SMEs, large corporations, high net-worth individuals, entrepreneurs, skilled workers, students, temporary workers, visitors, partners, EU nationals and many more from around the world.


Bespoke applications for Tier 1 Entrepreneurs and Investors under Tier 1 of the Points Based System. Business immigration, including those under Tier 2 General, Tier 2 ICT and for foreign companies wishing to set up a UK branch.

The applicant will need to apply for an Entry Clearance Visa from a British Embassy or High Commission abroad unless they were previously granted and still have limited permission to remain here as the spouse or an unmarried partner of a person present and settled in the UK.

The person must be the child’s other parent. The applicant must show that they have not remained here in breach of the Immigration Rules and that they meet all of the other requirements listed above.

If the applicant falls within this category the Home Office will accept a letter from the child’s other parent that the applicant is maintaining contact with the child as evidence that you have rights of access to your child in place of a Court Order.

If the application is successful permission to enter or remain in the UK will be granted for 12 months initially.

At the end of this period, before their leave expires, the applicant will be able to apply for indefinite leave to remain in the UK.

In order to qualify for Indefinite leave to remain the applicant will need to show that they have been, and still intend to, take an active role in the child’s upbringing, show that the child visits or stays with them on a frequent and regular basis and that this will continue.

The applicant also needs to show that they continue to have adequate accommodation and are able to maintain themselves and any dependents without recourse to public funds.

The child must also still be under 18.

Simply contact us today on 0113 270 7002 or email us to book a free consultation.

    Get A Free Consultation