If your relationship with a British citizen or a person settled in the UK has broken down as a result of domestic violence, you may be able to apply for indefinite leave to remain here. This is also referred to as permission to settle here permanently.

To be given permission to settle as a victim of domestic violence, you must prove that:

  • you have been given  permission to enter or remain in the UK as the husband, wife, civil partner or unmarried/same-sex partner of a British citizen or a person settled here (even if that permission is no longer valid);
  • your relationship was existing and genuine (not a ‘marriage of convenience’, for example) when you were last given permission to enter or remain; and
  • you were the victim of domestic violence, and this is what caused the relationship to break down before the end of your permission to enter or remain.

The introduction of the Destitution Domestic Violence (DDV) concession replaces the successful Sojourner project. It is aimed at protecting those eligible under the DDV concession who are victims of domestic abuse, by allowing them to notify us that they need to access public funds while they make a claim for indefinite leave to remain as a victim of domestic violence.

  • From 1 April 2012 migrants will be able to apply under the Destitution Domestic Violence (DDV) concession.

You can notify the UK Border Agency of your need to access public funds under this policy if:

  • you entered the UK or were given leave to remain in the UK as a spouse, civil partner, unmarried or same sex partner of a British Citizen or someone present and settled in the UK; and
  • your relationship has broken down due to domestic violence; and
  • you do not have the means to access accommodation or to support yourself and need financial help; and
  • you are going to make a claim to stay permanently in the UK under the Domestic Violence Immigration Rule (Settlement DV)

Why Choose Us!

Harris and Green Solicitors have recently extended their services to include family law. Although we are family law solicitors in Leeds, we don’t just cover the Leeds area. Our family law clients are national and span the whole of the UK.

Expert Solicitor

We provide tailor-made visa applications to the Home Office in the UK for further leave, indefinite leave, Discretionary leave and applications & representations to British Embassies around the world.

Unrivalled Service

For further information on how we can assist you and your family come to the UK, please do not hesitate to contact our qualified UK immigration Solicitors on +44(0)113 270 7002 or e-mail us at info@harrisandgreensolicitos.com

Fast Support

Our clients include SMEs, large corporations, high net-worth individuals, entrepreneurs, skilled workers, students, temporary workers, visitors, partners, EU nationals and many more from around the world.


Bespoke applications for Tier 1 Entrepreneurs and Investors under Tier 1 of the Points Based System. Business immigration, including those under Tier 2 General, Tier 2 ICT and for foreign companies wishing to set up a UK branch.

    Get A Free Consultation