Help with unmarried partners and separation

The immigration rules allow for applications to be made to enter or remain in the United Kingdom on the basis of relationships where the couple are not married or in a civil partnership.  Opposite sex couples who are not married are referred to as “unmarried partners”, same sex couples who are not in a civil partnership are referred to as “same sex couples”. The rules are the same whether an unmarried or same sex partner.

The immigration rules require that the couple must be living together in a relationship “akin to marriage or civil partnership” which has continued for two years or more. This is interpreted by the Home Office and Embassies abroad to mean two years’ cohabitation and strong evidence of this cohabitation will be needed.

If you plan to make an application yourself you must read the rules and the Home Office policy section thoroughly as this page only provides a very brief overview. The partners of EEA nationals should follow the European guidance specific to them.

The appropriate place to make the application (in the UK or outside), the form to be used, and the length of stay to be granted, all depend on the particular circumstances of the couple.

Why Choose Us!

Harris and Green Solicitors have recently extended their services to include family law. Although we are family law solicitors in Leeds, we don’t just cover the Leeds area. Our family law clients are national and span the whole of the UK.

Expert Solicitor

We provide tailor-made visa applications to the Home Office in the UK for further leave, indefinite leave, Discretionary leave and applications & representations to British Embassies around the world.

Unrivalled Service

For further information on how we can assist you and your family come to the UK, please do not hesitate to contact our qualified UK immigration Solicitors on +44(0)113 270 7002 or e-mail us at

Fast Support

Our clients include SMEs, large corporations, high net-worth individuals, entrepreneurs, skilled workers, students, temporary workers, visitors, partners, EU nationals and many more from around the world.


Bespoke applications for Tier 1 Entrepreneurs and Investors under Tier 1 of the Points Based System. Business immigration, including those under Tier 2 General, Tier 2 ICT and for foreign companies wishing to set up a UK branch.

    Get A Free Consultation