To come to the UK as a family visitor, you must be able to show that you will be visiting the following family members in the UK:
- spouse, civil partner, father, mother, son, daughter, brother or sister;
- grandfather, grandmother, grandson or granddaughter;
- spouse or civil partner’s father, mother, brother or sister;
- son or daughter’s spouse or civil partner;
- stepfather, stepmother, stepson, stepdaughter, stepbrother or stepsister; or
- a person you have been living with in a genuine and subsisting relationship, like marriage or civil partnership, for at least 2 years before the day you apply.
If you are refused entry clearance in this category you have a full right of appeal against the decision.
If you want to visit a family member who is not listed above, you should come to the UK as a general visitor which does not attract a full right of appeal.
Additionally the family member you are visiting must:
- be a British citizen;
- be settled in the UK;
- have been granted asylum in the UK; or
- have Humanitarian Protection status.
- You must also be able to show that:
- you are 18 or over;
- you intend to visit the UK for no more than 6 months (or 12 months if you will be accompanying an academic visitor);
- you intend to leave the UK at the end of your visit;
- you have enough money to support and accommodate yourself without working or help from public funds, or you and any dependents will be supported and accommodated by relatives or friends;
- you can meet the cost of the return or onward journey; and
- you are not in transit to a country outside the ‘Common Travel Area’ (Ireland, the UK, the Isle of Man and the Channel Islands).
There is no general right of appeal unless you are sponsoring
Why Choose Us!
Harris and Green Solicitors have recently extended their services to include family law. Although we are family law solicitors in Leeds, we don’t just cover the Leeds area. Our family law clients are national and span the whole of the UK.
We provide tailor-made visa applications to the Home Office in the UK for further leave, indefinite leave, Discretionary leave and applications & representations to British Embassies around the world.
Our clients include SMEs, large corporations, high net-worth individuals, entrepreneurs, skilled workers, students, temporary workers, visitors, partners, EU nationals and many more from around the world.
Bespoke applications for Tier 1 Entrepreneurs and Investors under Tier 1 of the Points Based System. Business immigration, including those under Tier 2 General, Tier 2 ICT and for foreign companies wishing to set up a UK branch.
- 10 years lawful residence
- 20 years un-lawful residence
- Access to child visa
- All Visitors
- Breaks in the 10 years period
- British Citizenship
- British Citizenship Applications
- Business and Special Visitor
- Domestic Violence
- EEA Family Permit
- EEA Residence Card
- EU and EEA nationals
- Family Visitor
- Fixed Fee
- General Job Offer
- General Skilled
- General visitor
- Human Rights Application
- Medical Treatment
- Permanent Residence UK
- Spouse, Same Sex Spouse and Civil Partners
- Unmarried Partners
- Visiting the UK
- Worker Registration Scheme